Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Attachment Blocking

From: Adam Nave <nave () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:50:15 -0600

We use Google Apps for Edu, which imposes a 20 MB attachment size limit and
prevents the sending and receiving of executable files (.exe and .bat, I
think) as a security precaution. It also scans inside common compressed
formats for executables. The sender does get bounce messages for executables
and exceeding the size limit. Here's google's help page on the subject:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590&topic=12842

We've always had an attachment size limit, so our community did not have a
problem with continuing that when we moved to Google Apps last year. The
executable thing did catch a few people, but there have only been a handful
of times where we needed to help provide a work-around and no real
complaints.

--Adam