Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pen Test vendors

From: Jeff Howlett <howlettj () MEREDITH EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:29:17 -0500

We used a company by the name of Secure Solve to do a pen test and full
security audit and in my 15+ years have not worked with a better consultant
from top to bottom.  The communication and effort was second to none and the
final output was both detailed and understandable to non-technical
executives.  The depth of the knowledge in security and hacking of the
primary engineer on the project was downright frightening.  For the first
time in years I felt like I got more than my monies worth on a tech
consultant.

The other thing I liked was that they are vendor agnostic.  In past pen test
experiences I felt that the other companies were basically another layer of
sales for the major security/hardware vendors.  Secure Solve pointed out our
deficiencies and advised us on different products that would fix the problem
and did not push any vendor's solution.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

www.Securesolve.com

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Howlett
Chief Information Officer