Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: stopping students sharing their login credentials

From: "Rizzo, Jim" <JRIZZO () PROVIDENCE EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:06:41 -0500

It is also part of our AUP that no one share their account info.  If we find someone has caused large enough problems,
they go to student affairs for punishment (that's not our job).

You could put a policy in place where you disable their account for a certain amount of time.  We actively "disable"
the accounts of people who reply to phishing messages with their passwords (by disable in this case, I mean change
their password so the phishers can't use the account) and then we explain what they did was bad when they come to have
it reset.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do.

Jim

--
Jim Rizzo
Helpdesk Manager