Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: stopping students sharing their login credentials

From: Mike Waller <mwaller.distro () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:55:54 -0500

Even with a 2-factor means for getting into the building, you're still going
to be facing the risk of tailgating unless you install man-traps (revolving
doors).

I think the place to start is to sit down and discuss what the real risks
are. If I'm a student and I give someone my credentials to be able to use a
lab, what are the risks? My information is ripe for compromise, but I may
have given up my credentials willingly (though theft is always a
possibility). You're putting a potential malicious user on the network, but
if you have good access controls and a solid defense-in-depth strategy,
you're going to minimize what I can get to from a computer lab.

Ultimately, a student willingly giving his/her credentials to a non-student
(or another student) is going to be a very difficult thing to do. You could
man-trap the door and use a card plus biometric, but that's going to be a
very intrusive and expensive solution -- so are you really applying the
right level of remediation to the problem? My experience at a few different
universities tells me that I would look hard at a solid defense-in-depth
strategy combined with some fairly significant penalties for being caught
doing this sort of thing.

Look at the risks and figure out appropriate counter-measures but remember
that an insider willing to give up his/her credentials is something that is
often exceedingly difficult to prevent.

Mike