Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virtualization and Security ?

From: "Cheng, Wang" <ChengW () SACREDHEART EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:13:25 -0500

We are in the final process of virtualizing all the servers we can, after 2 years of kicking and screaming by many!

Our provider is VMWare and we use their full VI3 enterprise suite.  For security reasons we have three distinct VI3
systems (Server Farm, DMZ, and VDI).  This means in the VMWare world we have three distinct sets of Virtual Centers and
ESX 3 clusters running on three sets of physically separated hardware.  In addition:

*         We harden each physical host per best practices and have completely separate physical networks for VMKernel
(SAN and host to host traffic), Service Console (administration), and user traffic to individual VMs.

*         We treat each VM as if it were any other server so all the protections from firewall, IPS, patching, backup,
etc. are present like any other physical server.

*         We leverage VI3's VMotion and HA technologies to move VMs in real-time so we can patch ESX without any
downtime.

*         We also use Virtual Center's integration with LDAP and its own fine grained authorization system to give only
the necessary permissions to the server admins.  VC is very flexible in that you can create folders and subfolders with
VMs in them and have permissions inherit just like a file system.  No direct access is given to any ESX host servers,
in fact no server admin even knows which host runs their VM(s) as they are all part of ESX clusters.  We also design
and deploy the VM templates so that we can pre-configure the server OS properly and lock the BIOS with a password so
that server admins cannot modify even that piece.

Special Considerations we've found:

*         Not all vendors support virtualization and some are so backwards that they refuse support if you have your
systems running in a virtual environment.  We find this to be less and less the case but as you all know our
illustrious faculty/staff get some very "interesting" software packages...  So 100% virtual is not possible in our
environment.

*         Some of our applications actually have hardware components (such as special fiber cards or license dongles)
and therefore cannot be virtualized.

*         For mission critical systems like our SIS system, Active Directory servers, mail connectors, etc. we load
balance a physical server with a virtual server for high availability.

*         Virtual Machine sprawl: this is starting to become a big problem for us.  Because it's so easy to standup a
VM, every application just gets one and now we are starting to lose some of the benefits of consolidation.  Be careful
about saying yes to any new server; you get into that habit and next thing you know your server infrastructure just
doubled in the virtual space!

*         Spend the money and use a SAN backend with de-duplication technology, it will save you lots of money in disk
utilization and it will make DR and backup easier not to mention the enterprise features you get when you attach VI to
a SAN.

*         If you choose VMWare VI3, consider using NFS instead of iSCSI (unless you are using a Fiber Channel SAN) when
disk performance is a must. It is screaming fast!

Hope this helps,

                Conrado Wang Cheng Niemeyer

                Information Security Officer

                Sacred Heart University