Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Secure File and Email Transfer

From: Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:56:09 -0500

Hello All,

I am conducting some research to determine the route that other universities are taking in securing files/emails when
needed.  I have found three solutions and I am wondering which of them other universities are implementing or if they
are using other methods.

The three are:

1.       Public Key Infrastructure, issuing public/private keys to all employees.  This is time consuming and requires
key exchanges.  I find this to require lots of time which translates into money to maintain and support.

2.       Third party mediator.  This is where an institution sends a file/email to a third party over a secure channel.
 Then the receiver is told by the third party that a file/email is waiting and they log into a site to download/view
through a secure https connection.

3.       Use secure ftp.  Setup a secure ftp server and give vendors a username and password and they are notified when
something is waiting for them.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Daniel R. Bennett