Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blacklisting and Tar-pitting

From: Jay Graham <jwg+ () PITT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:33:31 -0400

Folks,

Here at the University of Pittsburgh, we allow our users to forward
their official University email address <username () pitt edu> either on
campus to a departmental e-mail server or off campus to another provider.

We have been dealing with the external providers Blacklisting us for
some time, but recently it seems to have become chronic and we are
Blacklisted now more than we are not Blacklisted. We put measures in
place for SPAM filtering and have really cracked down on security so
that compromised workstations are not spewing spam.

I know there are several things we can do about this. Some are radical
like not allowing forwarding of email off campus and others are less
radical like trying to white list us with the major providers or
implement domain keys or SPF.

I am wondering what other Universities that allow forwarding are doing
to combat the blacklisting problem. Is this something obvious we are
missing or is this a real problem that everyone is facing?

Jay Graham
University of Pittsburgh
jwg () pitt edu