Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisting and Tar-pitting

From: Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy () NRAO EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:48:07 -0400

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:08:38 -0400, "Jason C.Belford"
   <jason.belford () OIT GATECH EDU> said:

At one time we would simply tag the message with a spam score and
allow our users to create a filter.  However, if our user was
forwarding incoming mail to an off-campus address, the spam would
forward before any filters could be applied (if filters were even
created).

If you're using a *nix based server for this, there is a solution to
this dilemma.  Instead of a simple mail alias, if you set the forward to
be:

   joeuser: "| procmail DEST=joeuser () another example edu"

and write a global /etc/procmailrc that (a) does the institutional spam
quarantining first and (b) picks up the value of $DEST and does the
forwarding via formail.  I can send specifics of what we use if that
will help.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Webmaster (East), Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813