Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spammer got into my Webmail

From: Robin Polak <robin.polak () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:01:05 -0400

What did you put into your header.txt to set the X-Originating-User header?
Would you be at all willing to share those scripts you use to monitor your
e-mail?  Thank You for your help!!

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:49, Mark Montague <markmont () umich edu> wrote:

Our Horde/IMP installation sets the X-Originating-User header in outgoing
messages that we can use to identify messages in our outbound queue from the
compromised account.

We have a script that runs periodically that monitors the size of our
outgoing webmail queues and notifies us when one gets unexpectedly large.
 Our experience has been that many spammers using compromised accounts will
attempt to send thousands of messages in a very short period of time, which
triggers a notification from our script and we can log in and see if there
is actually a compromised account.

Our experience has also been that spammers using compromised accounts with
Horde/IMP change the user's signature to contain the spam that they want to
send.   Horde/IMP automatically fills in each message with the spam via the
signature.  These spammers set up an additional identity for the user with a
"From" address that is actually the spammer's address.  So we have a script
that looks for new identities that get set up with non-local identities and
emails us the first 100 characters of the signature for that identity --
this is enough to let us identify accounts that have been compromised,
sometimes soon enough that we can disable the account before the spammer
actually starts sending their messages.

Finally, we have a php_include file that we set up for Horde/IMP that
contains a blacklist of compromised user accounts.  We can use this to block
a compromised account from using webmail without having to completely
disable the account across all services.

              Mark Montague
              ITCS Web/Database Production Team
              The University of Michigan
              markmont () umich edu