Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spammer got into my Webmail

From: Dan Oachs <doachs () GAC EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:16:17 -0500

We have configured our Horde/IMP installation to use smtp
authentication.  Our postfix logs then show who authenticated each
message.  We can then use that information to remove messages from our
outbound queue.

--Dan Oachs
 Gustavus Adolphus College

Robin Polak wrote:
Hello,

   One of my webmail users was fooled into revealing his credentials
to a spammer and now I am dealing with the backlash of all this spam
having left our smtp servers as well as much mail still left in the
outbound sendmail queues.  Is there any advice that any of you could
provide me as far as filtering out the spam from my sendmail queues as
well as any procedures I could follow to counteract the effects of
blacklisting such as a generally checked whitelist?  In addition, as a
result of this incident I have found a flaw in the tracking of mail
between our webmail (Horde/IMP), Cyrus IMAP, and Sendmail.  What sort
of suggestion could be made as far as effectively being able to
correlate my logs?  Is there a way to put a header into a message
leaving IMP indicating the user-name that was used to login to Horde?
This would have been quite usefull since in some way the spammer was
able to spoof the From address in the message to be a yahoo.com
<http://yahoo.com>  address.

--
Robin Polak, Network Manager
College of Mount Saint Vincent