Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: anti-spam software

From: Michael Young <Michael.Young () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:36:59 -0400

Almost three years ago now, we evaluated several anti-spam products for
our environment.  We ended up selecting Symantec Mail Security (formerly
Brightmail) and have been very happy with it.

We initially looked at the features of many products to narrow the field
down.  We then tried out Brightmail, MailFronter, IronMail, PureMessage,
and PreciseMail.

Brightmail won hands down.  Low user maintenance, false positive rate,
directory integration and language support were key requirements.  Users
have the ability to manage their own white/black lists, as well as the
languages they will accept.  With the directory integration, we also
have the ability to provide customized policies to individual colleges
or departments on campus that run their own mail server.

We have ~17,500 users.  In the past week, 95.5% threats of 12,527,861
connections/messages were removed.  Our users typically report less than
100 messages per day that have gotten past it, and there are less than
50 false positives per day.  Less than 2,000 of our users see messages
in their quarantine, and very few feel the need to maintain a
white/black list at all.  We have three standalone appliances, which
we're considering moving to the vmWare ESX virtual version when the
hardware comes end of life.

The only downside is the relative cost, but it is extremely effective
and very low maintenance.

Michael Young
RIT