Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Skype in the production environment

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:04:03 -0500

John Hoffoss wrote:

   4) http://safecomputing.umn.edu/safepractices/skype.html

You can modify a registry entry to prevent Skype from becoming a
supernode.
This is a simple and effective tactic to moderate the usage of
bandwidth while
a computer is your University's network. I do not know if this
violate's the
Skype EULA. (Also note the University of Minnesota does not prohibit
the use
of Skype.)

They document doing that in their
http://www.skype.com/business/security/ guide and support doing it via
GPO templates.    I've got a tech savvy relative that has moved
collaboration meetings from being a $300/phone call conference bridge
into $80/month skype + land line for the one or two folks that will need
to call in.    Savings for weekly meetings went from $1200 -> $80
(multiplied times 3 or 4 meetings..) and they got voice transcripts.

When blocking things, we try to be as 'content-neutral' as practical.
We've only ventured into outright banning of a few P2P
(gnutella/ares/etc.) protocols here based never having a person need it
for a production use.