Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Skype in the production environment

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:51:47 -0700

At 08:07 AM 6/11/2008 -0500, Todd Bossaller wrote:
I have had a couple questions about using Skype in our production
environment.  What security risks does Skype pose?  The articles I
read have been somewhat positive and somewhat negative.   Does
anyone else use Skype?
What's the general consensus?

     The general consensus is it's evil and should be band.  I tried
to get our general counsel to look at the EULA; they stonewalled and
I gave up.  After setting up a GPO to control the behavior of Skype I
allow users to use it on our machines.  (I can't stop them from using
it on their laptops but if a laptop become a supernode it may get
blocked by our security operations group.)

     We have a research group that does a lot of work in Thailand
and this summer they have a course with most of the students in
Thailand and the research equipment here.  It seems to make a lot of
since to use Skype to meet the business objects (teach the class) and
save money (no long distance charges).
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP  <ecase () Arizona edu>
Information Security Officer
College of Engineering   <http://www.Engr.Arizona.edu>
1127 E James E. Rogers Way Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0020