Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Maintenance Window(s) Procedures

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:35:48 -0500

Our normal maintenance window is Sunday from 7am-11am.
This day and time were chosen because this was the time when the servers
were used the least.
We don't use the window for the servers involved in grading the four
times a year when grades are entered to give the faculty as much time as
possible to enter grades at the request of the registrar.

Joey Rego wrote:

To the Educause Community:

We are currently in the process of rethinking our maintenance window
and procedures for servers, applications and devices.  We were
wondering how other institutions have gone about doing this.  If you
could help with some information on how your institution decided the
time(s)/day(s) of your maintenance window and would like to share we
would really appreciate it.   Also, any information on the level of
communication with the departments that were the business owners of
applications and how their input swayed your decisions any would be
helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

*Joey Rego*
/Senior Network Administrator/

*Lynn University**
Information Technology*
*3601 North Military Trail
Boca Raton, Fla. 33431-5598
Phone: 561-237-7982
Fax: 561-237-7115
E-mail: jrego () lynn edu <mailto:jrego () lynn edu>
Web: http://www.lynn.edu <http://www.lynn.edu/> *

--

Brother Kenneth Arnold
Director of Network Systems