Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Securing VM servers

From: Michael Jewett <mgj () UNB CA>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:16:05 -0300

Hi,

We're having a debate right now over securing our VMware clusters. We currently have a couple of DMZs (Public/Private). The DMZ policies state no multi-homed servers for obvious reasons, so we are not allowing servers to be members of both. Now we are aggressively looking into VM clusters.

1) Part of me is saying one VM cluster per DMZ to have a good separation of our Public and Private servers.

2) And the part of me is saying one cluster with each host being multi-homed and using virtual switches in VMWare to sort out which guest is a member of which DMZ. This allows a bigger cluster for higher availability and we'd see greater savings.

Using the theory that we need N+1 for availability, that would mean 1) would require a minimum of 2 servers per DMZ or 4 servers and 2) would require only 3 servers... If all things remain equal.

I'm over simplifying the number of servers, but just giving it as an example.

What are other people doing about this? One large Multi-homed cluster or multiple smaller single-homed cluster? How secure is virtual switching in VMware?

Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

--
   Michael Jewett
   University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB

   ITS@UNB - Services, Solutions, Strategies
   ITS is a scent-reduced workplace – www.unbf.ca/its/policies