Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Securing VM servers

From: Paul Keser <pkeser () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:32:32 -0700

Mike-

I would be interested in connecting off line.  We are currently looking
at how we want to architect virtual environments that contain restricted
data.  Our initial deployment is limited to non restricted data.

- -PaulK

Paul Keser
Assoc. Information Security Officer
Stanford University
650.724.9051
GPG Fingerprint:  DBA3 E20F CE91 28AA DA1C  4A77 3BD9 C82D 2699 24FB

Mike Lococo wrote:
Reposting with a proper subject line.  I must have deleted it by
accident, apologies.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo

Mike Lococo wrote:
Greetings,

I'm very interested in connecting offline with other folks who are
thinking about the architectural implications of virtualization with
regard to security boundaries.  We've poured a lot of thought into it
in my office, had fairly extensive conversations with VMWare technical
staff, and still have a lot of uncertainty about the best path forward
for our environment.

You might do a little searching for the research that Ed Skoudis and Tom
Liston did on escaping virtual machines.  Below is an article that
summarizes some of it.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/5936

That article is pretty thin on details.  I've never found a paper from
from Ed and Tom on that research, but some the most authoritative
links I've seen are:

* Foolmoon has a writeup of what Ed and Tom presented at Sansfire 2007:
http://www.foolmoon.net/cgi-bin/blog/index.cgi?mode=viewone&blog=1185593255

* Ed posted a comment at the following blog with some details:
http://www.cutawaysecurity.com/blog/archives/170

* Tavis Ormandy wrote an excellent paper paper on fuzzing various
virtualization environments, all of which had crash bugs:
http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf

It's worth noting that none of the research above applies to ESX, it's
all been done on Workstation or Server.  That's not to imply that ESX
has no flaws, just that it's a different architecture/codebase which
makes any kind of specific comparison to the public research difficult.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo

PS CISecurity has some hardening guides for VMWare, but they
completely punt on how/where to enforce trust boundaries.