Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Differentiating Between Real and Phishing Emails to Staff and Students

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:46:06 -0600

Sarah - Good points - as always -

I ran into an interesting approach that might be useful, particularly in a
university environment.  There is a company that, as part of its training
and auditing services, specializes in setting up fake sites and sending
phishing e-mails for end users to log on.  The fake sites look just like
their company's site, except for a number of clues that hint of potential
problems.  They send out their phishing e-mails routinely and/or on a
pre-planned basis.  They then measure the response and provide direct
feedback to those who fell for the scam, plus overall feedback to the
population at large.  No actual username-passwords or any other info is kept
on their servers.  They indicated that within a few months of deploying the
system, the success rates for their phishing attempts dropped by well over
50%.

If structured as a kind of fun training with actual results meaningful to
the population in question, it seems like it would be very helpful as both
an awareness and training tool.  It would also be great for an organization
to know just how susceptible they are, over time, to such attacks.  Right
now, we have many anecdotes, but limited actual performance numbers.  It
would also allow specific phishing designs to be tested in terms of banners,
language, etc., along with some understanding of the most affected groups.
As an example, I remember years ago how people whose mastery of English was
growing but still a work in progress could get confused by messages that
looked 'official'.  So, if a university has many foreign students, it would
be good to know if they are being targeted and if they need more specific
assistance in detecting fraudulent messages.

By the way, the approach I saw ensured that the target population was
advised that the 'game is on' before it began; so there is no attempt at
pure trickery.  Trust is a valuable commodity and playing games of gotcha is
a good way to waste it.  Obviously, it is critical to only try methods that
do not have legal ramifications and these guys seemed to know how to do it.
In fact they did their presentation at several events sponsored by the Feds.
If anyone is interested, let me know and I will dig out their contact info.

Ozzie Paez
SSE/CISSP
SAIC
303-332-5363