Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Differentiating Between Real and Phishing Emails to Staff and Students

From: Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:04:53 +1000

Hi All,

I regularly send out emails to staff and students advising on phishing
scams, general security alerts, password changes etc.  As the frequency of
targeted phishing scams increase, I continue to get more queries by staff
and students questioning if the very emails I send to staff and students are
valid or a scam.

I would be interested in knowing how other institutions are providing
increasing assurance to staff and students that emails from their IT or
Security section are valid.

Examples might include disclaimers, digital signatures or encryption etc,
but if this is an area you have looked at and addressed could you please
advise.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane