Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Differentiating Between Real and Phishing Emails to Staff and Students

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 06:46:40 -0400

When we send out a security education email, we always post a copy of the email on the Security web site - we tell
people if they want to verify, go to the
security web site (we do not provide a clickable link) and they will see the same information. (we have an Alerts
section)

Since we started doing that (about 4 years ago), we stopped getting those questions.

My 2 cents.

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel