Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: is anyone getting energy savings on PCs using WOL or the like

From: Brian Friday <bfriday () LASIERRA EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:04:32 -0700

On May 6, 2008, at 9:08 AM, David Grisham wrote:

As a corporate component of our university we traditionally applied
patches and updates during the night to our PCs.  This way our
clinics and floors did not see interruptions to their workstations
during business hours.  We would like to go green and turn off these
workstations when possible.

We would like to start letting our staff turn off workstations &
wake them a couple hours before business and apply necessary
maintenance.  Does anybody have a tool for this process that is
understood by the workstation to be authorized and not a network
probe that we would be blocking with network tools (e.g. blocking
Smurf)?

Cheers.-grish
David Grisham, Manager ITSecurity, UNMH

Intel has been hyping their vPro technology on laptops and desktops as
being capable of doing this securely. The catch of course being that
you have to have the hardware which support vPro. In our discussions
of doing this we were toying with the idea of blocking all packets
except those that came from a specific IT centric address range. That
discussion though did not get very far out of the theoretical arena.

Brian Friday
Manager, La Sierra University's IT: Infrastructure Department
Tel: (951) 785-2900 / Fax: (951) 785-2908
Riverside, CA 92515
Email: bfriday () lasierra edu

Infrastructure: It is the telephone on your desk, the wires in your
walls, the email you check daily, and the network that ties it all
together.