Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:35:23 -0500

Christian Brothers University blocks all SMTP traffic both outbound and
inbound except traffic coming from or going to the official mail servers
for the school at the firewall.  We do allow students to relay SMTP mail
through our mail servers however.
Br. Kenneth Arnold

Jenkins, Matthew wrote:

I am curious how many other schools block outbound SMTP, and if so
from which or all networks?

We currently still allow it; however, I see very few legit
connections.  Usually once a week I find another student who has
become malware infected, and have to  shut them off until they can
prove their computer is clean (unfortunately we don't have a true NAC
as budget does not allow).

The biggest problem is wireless users.  I can block MAC addresses,
however this ends up taking a lot of time from start to finish (by the
time I login to WCS, push the policy to all the controllers, document
it, notify our helpdesk team for the incoming phone call they will
get, then all those steps in reverse when the computer is cleaned).

I have been considering approaching management to just block all port
25 traffic.  My holdback is that I feel bad for anyone that has their
own domain somewhere and sends mail through it.  We do not allow
students to relay SMTP mail through our mail servers.

Thoughts?  Thanks for your input,

Matt

*Matthew Jenkins
*Network/Server Administrator