Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:12:00 -0400

Kreider, Randall G wrote:

Blocking SMTP outbound would break anyone that has their machine
configured to route mail through an external SMTP server.  The
response that talks about relaying is not saying anything glamorous
about capturing and rerouting traffic.  They were simply saying that
they allow students to directly submit SMTP mail to their servers and
then relay it out for them.  We already do that.  Our recommended
configuration for POP or IMAP is to use smtp.etown.edu as the
designated SMTP server.

We rate limit SMTP outbound from anything other than our official
gateways.  This seems like a working compromise after having numerous
complaints from laptop users that had their agents setup to use their
"home" services.

We don't limit mail submission (587) or secure SMTP (465).

Jeff