Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: P2P sensitive data searches

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:04:28 -0400

I am not sure about the issues with pursuing; however, perhaps one
approach would be to find the host that is serving up the data and
contact the security contact for that network.  Organizations that keep
personal information have a responsibility to those individuals to keep
that information secure.  If they do not take action, and the
information seems legit, it seems it would be appropriate to hand it
over to authorities to investigate.

I don't believe that contacting the individual yourself would be
appropriate.  If it was my personal information, I would hope that
someone that had found it would make the organization get their act
together and fix the issue.  I would personally like to know that my
information was out there.  However, as an administrator I would rather
know before my users so I knew how to answer the phone calls.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University