Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

P2P sensitive data searches

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:16:42 -0500

Scenario:

  We have begun doing investigation in to whether any sensitive data from our institution (Texas State University) is
showing up on P2P networks.  We are doing this right now through keyword searches.

Issue:

  We are coming across sensitive/confidential personal information (SSN, Drivers License, etc.).  While a lot of this
seems to be fake (perhaps a honeypot situation), a small amount of legitimate information looks to be accidentally
shared.

I feel that we have an ethical obligation to at least make an attempt to either pass the information to an appropriate
agency or contact the individual.  Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about the path to take as well as any
possible issues with pursuing this?

Thanks for any input,

Corbett Consolvo

Texas State University