Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: <SPAM> Re: emergency alert system

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:47:18 -0600

Yes, highly unlikely (the reference was intended for the scenario of a
violent attack using a text notification system to increase casualties
and not the general case of prank text notification messages).  Let's do
some quick risk math in a couple of scenarios.

Some quick words about attack vectors.  A text messaging service can be
exploited for false notifications by either: directly attacking the
application and using it to send messages (unknown chance of success,
but high rate and accuracy of message delivery) or by spoofing a
message.  Spoofing a message requires access to some list of cell phone
numbers (attack campus systems, attack messaging service, scrape/attack
Facebook, or just guessing).  Depending on the source of the numbers,
the accuracy of message delivery will vary greatly.  Guessing will be
very inaccurate at larger schools where most student numbers are from
out of state and usually keep their home state cell phone numbers.

First, terrorist bombing:

Likelihood of a terrorist bombing at an institute of higher education in
the United States is hard to calculate given the extremely small number
of bombs to have been detonated at institutes of higher education.  If
we guesstimate based on other bombings in the US and other parts of the
world, we could be generous and say one bombing every ten years across
the 4,000+ institutions in the US.  This places the average chance at
0.0025% for a given institution in a given year.

Casualties in a single terrorist bombing in a crowded public place tend
to number in the tens of fatalities and potentially hundreds of injured
(since it was specifically referenced, it looks like Omagh was 29
fatalities and 200+ injured).  There have been a very small number of
larger attacks, like Oklahoma City, but it seems most appropriate to
model the far more common size of attack.

Now, what are the odds and impact of a terrorist using a text messaging
system to increase fatalities in such an attack?  We haven't seen it
happen yet, so odds are hard to calculate.  Lets again error towards
caution and guess that one in four terrorists would effectively take
advantage of such a system.  The impact is also hard to judge, but let's
say it doubles the casualty rates.

So, deploying such a system would mean that in the very unlikely
scenario of an effective terrorist bombing on a higher education campus
in the United States (0.0025% in a year), there is some chance
(estimating 25%) that 30 more people would die than would otherwise.

Yes, one could propose the movie plot scenario of a second bomb to
attack a rescue shelter or first responders, but the responders are
coming either way and the rescue shelter is created and can be targeted
either way.

The potential benefit from a warning system in the event of a bombing is
limited.  It could be used if there was an early warning such as an
ongoing investigation, or a bomb threat, but I can't find much about
cases where there was actionable early warning in a successful bombing.
In the chance of a non-simultaneous multiple bomb attack, a notification
telling students to stay in their dorms (or their off-campus housing)
could lower causality numbers in subsequent explosions.  From what I can
see, this type of attack is a minority of terrorist bombings.

Second, active shooter scenario:

The likelihood of an active shooter is higher than a terrorist bombing
and we have painfully seen them up close.  Let's put the number at two
incidents per year across higher education in the United States (a bit
high based on the actual stats).  This places the annual chances for a
single institution at 0.05%.

Casualties in active shooter incidents have ranged from none to 32
fatalities with tens of injuries.  Typically, they result in two
fatalities, but we'll put the average at 5 fatalities with 5 injuries
(there is a good summary list on Wikipedia for reference -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_related_attacks)

Since an active shooter is usually from within the community, we'll give
them higher odds of effectively leveraging messaging to increase
casualties, say 50%.  Of course, I'd say half of that is the chance of
leveraging Facebook/MySpace/e-mail as their preferred messaging medium.
Again, we'll assume a doubling of casualty rates.

So, deploying such a system would mean that in the  small chance
scenario of an active shooter on a higher education campus in the United
States (0.05% in a year), there is some chance (estimating 25%) that 5
more people would die with a text notification exploit than would
otherwise.

The potential benefit of text notification in an active shooter scenario
is also rather limited due to the often short length of the events - in
many cases the event may be over by the time a notification could be
sent.  However, we have seen some events last longer and, more notably,
some portion of active shooters may barricade themselves in a
building/room.  This could lead to a longer stand-off situation during
which text notification could be very useful in keeping
students/employees away from the site.

Can we mitigate some of the risk of text notification exploitation for
such attacks?  Certainly we should vet the security of the application
itself to reduce the chances of a successful attack via that vector.  We
can do some policy and communications with students about the expected
content of valid messages (e.g. we will only tell you to stay put or
avoid a building, never to go to a particular location).  We can
properly protect any on-campus resources that store student or employee
cell phone numbers.  We can educate students about public sharing of
information like phone numbers.  We can (as a community) vet the
security of popular social networking sites like Facebook (I sent them a
message about a flaw that allowed some cell phone number identification
on users who had hidden that information and they have corrected that
flaw).  It's not total mitigation, but we have options to reduce the
risk.

Now, let's balance all of that against the potential reduction of
casualties in other, non-attacker, scenarios on campus.

Fire: Building/room fires occur on a fairly regular basis (I can't find
aggregate stats specific to higher education), but usually have no
fatalities and a small number of injuries.  I don't have good
information to estimate what portion of fires could have a reduced
casualty rate with text notification.  Probably not many since the
primary notification mechanisms are more localized and immediate
(fire/smoke alarms).

Flood: The amount of warning depends on the specific campus.  Some are
in general flooding areas that might have hours or days or warning, and
others are in flash flood areas where there are minutes to hours of
warning (we have a flash flood risk here, I know Texas has a lot of
flash flood risk).  A text notification system can be used to augment
public notifications like TV/radio/sirens and could be especially useful
because those who are in the open and exposed to a flash flood are
unlikely to be watching/listening to TV/radio (although hopefully hear
any sirens).

Hurricane: Hurricanes have certainly caused lots of damage and
casualties in certain parts of the country.  Their approach typically
has a lot of early notification and a text system would largely augment
existing public news by passing along messages like evacuation
recommendations/requirements to students and employees.

Tornado: Tornado deaths in schools are rare in the past few decades
(they were more common when schools were small and made of wood).  A
text notification system could be beneficial for tornado warning to
augment other mechanisms, but statistically speaking probably won't save
lives within higher education.

Winter storm: A very useful feature of text notification is to notify
students/employees of campus closures and, in the event of a winter
storm, have fewer of them traverse dangerous roads in an unnecessary
attempt to reach campus.

At the end of the day, we want to get emergency notifications to as many
people as possible in as many different mediums as we can.  In the
current environment, cell phones are a very useful medium that is
underutilized for emergency notification (hence why there is a movement
on a national scale to add emergency notification to cell phones).
We've interrupted TV and radio for decades with such news, but in a cell
phone and internet world, these notifications are reaching a smaller
number of people each year.  I expect every school on this list already
has a process for adding a breaking news item to their
website/portal/e-mail/etc and adding cell phones is a logical, and
useful, progression.

I won't argue that many systems are being purchased and deployed because
of misguided motivations and that many have inaccurate expectations set
up by vendors, media or proponents on campus.  Depending on your campus,
there may be more beneficial ways to spend the money (perhaps more
pressing safety issues).  I don't intend to say that they are the right
choice for any particular campus, I just intend to illustrate some of
the thought and logic that can/should go into the decision making
process and risk analysis regarding such systems.

Wow, that turned into a novel that I've been writing on and off through
the day, sorry for the length.  I hope it was useful and not just
belaboring a point.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office

University of Colorado at Boulder