Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: <SPAM> Re: emergency alert system

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:39:49 -0400

On Apr 15, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Kevin Shalla wrote:

It looks like the time is ripe to enter the emergency message-
sending business.  Perhaps congress can require it for all K-12
schools too.  Oh, and how about requiring it for all postal
workers, and every other business where a shooting has taken
place.  If we want to best protect the lives of our young adults,
let's focus on minimizing automobile crashes, not sending emergency
messages.

Actually, the Connect-Ed company got its start in K-12 schools and
town government...  K-12 messages were sent to parents - either home
or work ('school closed due to snow'; 'we have to close early today
due to shooting').

Allison F. Dolan
Program Director, PII
Massachusetts Institute of Technology