Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication of remote users

From: "Hunt,Keith A" <keith () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:35:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis Kletnieks [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 5:19 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Authentication of remote users

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 14:54:05 EST, Joel Rosenblatt said:

Joking aside, this is a really hard problem to solve and I don't
think that
I've seen a really good answer for this yet.

One needs to keep in mind that perhaps "really good" isn't required
here, just
"good enough".  For instance, if the user is "remote" and can't come
in
person,
it may very well be "good enough" to get a fax of the ID - although
that may
indeed not prove it's the person, it proves the person has possession
of the
ID.  And if the real user dropped his wallet somewhere in Rome, what
are the
chances that the person who picked it up will have any interest in
hacking
into your site?  Remember - we're not talking about a Visa card that
has some
rather general usages.

Yes, it's *possible* that the pickpocket in Warsaw is an alumnus who
is
still
upset about that failing grade he got 20 years ago and recognizes that
obtaining an active account is the first step towards hacking in and
fixing the
grade he got, but at some point you really have to say "What are the
*realistic* chances?"...

Quite true, but I am not worried so much about the one who drops her
wallet in Rome. I am more concerned with the one who loses it in the
Student Union or at the local disco.

Keith Hunt  330.972.7968  keith () uakron edu
Internet & Server Systems
The University of Akron