Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication of remote users

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:59:17 -0500

The point of the ID card is that you just do a RESET of the id if they present the card (Over the phone, by knowing the
card number, or by fax) - the ID is not
active at that point, but put back to the initial state.  It then requires them to know the proper secrets to
re-activate it.

We will not re-activate an ID without having the person standing in front of the help desk with their photo ID in hand
- the best we will do if you have that
ID and can read us the number is a reset (same for fax).

Thanks,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel