Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication of remote users

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:37:17 -0500

Forgive me for injecting what I think ought to be sort of obvious.

It seems to me that having a written policy that's eagerly shared is
sort of defeating the purpose (as it ends up providing a blueprint on
how to hijack an account if you're an attacker who comes across it).

A phone call to the Help Desk could just as easily give you the same information so I see no issue with documenting
this.  Plus there's that whole security through obscurity argument if you really want to play devil's advocate.  :-)

For local students, we recommend not resetting passwords unless they're physically present at the Help Center to show
photo identification.  For remote students, we recommend the student fax a copy of their photo id.  As an alternative
for remote staff we suggest confirming the password reset request with that person's manager.  None of these are full
proof but thats the way it goes sometimes.  We document these recommendations in our password management guidelines.

See "Always verify a user’s identity before resetting a password"
https://www.cmu.edu/iso/governance/guidelines/password-management.html

We do not have a policy on this specifically.  We are getting ready to revamp our data classification and in the next
iteration, account passwords will be included.  Then all your usual policies on protection of data apply (e.g. access
to sensitive data types must be authenticated).