Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows local admin in a .edu environment

From: "Hull, Dave" <dphull () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:09:04 -0600

I inherited a shop where the previous Director stripped Admin rights
from the users before I arrived. I've found a few holdouts, but for the
most part everyone runs as a regular user, not even power user. My staff
and I run as regular users, relying on Run As or logging out and logging
in as Admin when necessary.

We've had to use Sysinternals' ProcessMonitor to ferret out permissions
issues on registry keys and files for a few pieces of poorly designed
software, but for the most part things just work.

For less than a handful of people, I've created secondary accounts with
admin privileges and told them if they need to be admin, they can use
Run As or log out and log back in, but they should not run as admin on a
daily basis. I monitor their usage to make sure the admin use does not
become routine.

I have had some IT folks from other departments tell me that what we're
doing in our department doesn't scale up because they would have to
spend lots of time running around installing software for people. I've
found the opposite is true, I spend much less time putting out fires
caused by an ignorant user running as admin and so I have time to
actually provide assistance when it's needed.

--
Dave Hull, CISSP, GCIH, GREM, SSP-MPA, CHFI
Director of Technology

"The free world says that software is the embodiment of knowledge about
technology, which needs to be free in the same way that mathematics is
free."
-- Eben Moglen, Software Freedom Law Center