Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Guides, Standards, Benchmarks?

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:15:12 -0700

Many of the OS and application vendors publish good security guides for
their products.  Microsoft, Apple and Red Hat have all published OS
security guides for their products.   Here are some links:

http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/Tiger_Security_Config.pdf
http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/Tiger_Server_Security_Config.pdf
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/pdf/Security
_Guide-450.pdf
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL51
0/pdf/Deployment_Guide.pdf
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windows2000/secwin2k/
default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsserver2003/w20
03hg/sgch00.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/guide.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/secwinxp/de
fault.mspx

I don't have a list of vendor application and/or database security
guides sitting around, but I'm sure there are a number of them.

NIST is charged with much of this for the federal government and they
have all of their checklists here: http://checklists.nist.gov/  This
includes checklists from CIA, NSA and more.  It's a good resource.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder