Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic - what about legit uses? Part Deux

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:03:45 -0700

Mr. Safian did a great job in defining the nature of the problem, people and
culture.  Those of us old enough to remember the software revolution at the
desktop remember how software was copied and passed around by people who
would otherwise never steal a penny.  It remains with us to this day as
evidenced by the many copy protection and registration schemes from the
major publishers.  When security and the human element intersect, the human
element, defined by culture and socially acceptable behavior, almost always
wins, and such is the case with P2P traffic and copyrights.  That does not
mean that institutions can sit back and do nothing.  The risks associated
with unauthorized use can be greatly diminished, at least at the monetary
level, through good faith efforts, even in the face of a loosing battle.
So, we have a three factor challenge:

1.  The technical issues involved in addressing P2P,
2.  The human side of the equation, i.e. policies, procedures, training...
3.  The legal side focusing on lowering risks of expensive law suits and
settlements.

The best solution available at this time requires a multi-disciplinary
approach from professionals and administrators involved in the three areas.
Finally, there is a need to remain connected, respectful and at least aware
of the concerns of copyright holders, and somehow feed that back into the
overall program.  My view is that any attempt that fails to integrate all
three components listed above will provide only limited returns, while those
that incorporate them will provide reasonable risk mitigation.

If it wasn't for us pesky people, most IT/Security problems would be easy to
solve!

Ozzie Paez
SSE/CISSP
Denver Infragard/SAIC