Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic - what about legit uses?

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:11:58 -0500

Our first time offenders with no previous Judicial Administrative
record are directed to a Copyright Education Course, the demo of
which is linked from this page:  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/policy/
It is less a wagging finger than it is an attempt at an understanding
of the tensions among social norms, Internet technologies (file
sharing functionalities in particular), the law and traditional
distribution models of entertainment companies.  The core curriculum
of the program may be found here:  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/policy/
copyright/primer.html

This discussion raises some very interesting questions about which we
could all benefit from hearing and discussing more.  For example: how
do the content owners generate DMCA notices technologically?   What
is the relationship between security and other policy related
functions in an IT shop?  What other areas of our institutions that
might do well to assist in addressing this issue of copyright
education, student affairs for example?  Finally, how do we align
optimal network operations with our institutions' missions?

Good discussion!