Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

flurry of IM worms

From: Bob Bayn <Bob.Bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:42:59 -0700

Last night and today we've been hit with a flurry of
instant messages pointing to one of a variety of
web links that end with /viewimage.php?=email () address edu
It appears that the infected machine in turn forwards
the message to its IM contact list.  Everybody here is
happy to click on a link recommended by a friend, in
spite of my "be an internet skeptic" campaign.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Bob Bayn
IT Security Team coordinator
Utah State University

here's a thread describing what we're finding about it: