Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic - what about legit uses?

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:29:31 -0500

We blocked P2P this year and were very vocal at communicating it. We
included the option to allow exceptions.  I was a little concerned of a
landslide of requests (read: more work creating exceptions than dealing
with the original P2P issues).

We were previously receiving hundreds of DMCA violation notices and
customers complaining of general Internet slowness.

We now receive (fingers crossed) no DMCA notices, our bandwidth dropped
so we were able to up the per users rate limiting and have received one
exception request. AND we have more time to troubleshoot real issues and
that troubleshooting is easier because we don't have as much of a mess
of P2P clouding the view.

I guess at least for us we truly are providing a better service now by
blocking P2P with an exception option.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Director of Telecommunications