Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Value and use of penetration testing and vulnerability assessment in .edu

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:58:05 -0700

Curt,

 We do annual penetration testing via an external vendor, and
vulnerability assessments in house. I'm not a big fan of pen testing. At
the end of the day, assuming you've done all the basic work and you have
an appropriate footprint on the internet, the vector of attack of a pen
test is likely fairly limited in your overall institutional risk
profile. As a result, I try to minimize the cost and time put into pen
testing, and instead focus on other areas.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College