Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Value and use of penetration testing and vulnerability assessment in .edu

From: Heather Flanagan <heatherf () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:33:51 -0800

On Jan 17, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Curt Wilson wrote:

Dear Educause security community -

In addition to my work at the university here, I have done work as
a consultant and in that capacity, performed many vulnerability
assessments and some penetration tests. I know that they are
sometimes over-hyped and are not the solution to all of our
security issues like some vendors would have us believe, however I
have seen significant value delivered through these practices,
especially when an organization does not have or will not supply
the necessary resources for systems to be designed securely from
inception, or when there has been no historical concern towards
security and many systems are already in production. While it's not
a newsflash to anyone in .edu, tight budgets and timelines often
leave security as an afterthought in my experience, and while I
think this needs to change, the resources to make this happen may
not exist. Therefore, my philosophy is that it's better to perform
some type of assessment, ideally before a system goes live, in
order to catch security issues and get them resolved.  I know it
may cost more at this stage, but better to find the problems than
not. There also may be a case where once a system is built, it's
not maintained adequately or is so fragile that no one wants to
touch it, or the team that built it have moved on to new pastures.
New vulnerabilities and attacks emerge, but sometimes the system
admins are not making the required changes and don't keep up with
the times. What can be done? A change in practices, of course,
better organizational governance and policy enforcement. But if
that's difficult or very slow to achieve I'd rather see either an
in-house or an outsourced assessment done to find problems before
attackers do, especially for systems such as web applications.
These actions are, of course, part of a package of best practices.

I'm curious what other .edus are doing with regards to this space.
Are people doing this in-house? Running the usual scanning tools
(that do find low hanging fruit, but miss many issues)? Performing
manual assessment with proxy tools (for webapps), fuzzers, etc?
Code review, security signoff on all projects before they go into
production? Is this work outsourced? Given to the development teams
and distributed? centralized into a security team? How deep do you
go with your checks? Where do these processes fit within your
overall priorities? Is it too expensive to do in-house? If you
outsource, what have your experiences been with services such as
Qualys, Whitehat Sentinel, etc. and the various PCI qualified
scanning vendors?

During my consulting work, I have found many security problems that
various scanners missed and I know this is common as there is no
substitute for a skilled analyst. As we all know scanning tools may
help us pluck low-hanging fruit, and stop the people using attack
scripts (if we get there first), but a skilled attacker is a more
dangerous thing. Not to mention that a scanning tool cannot assess
business practices that don't fall into the bits & bytes realm very
easily or at all. For instance, leaving the server room door
unlocked, no security camera, no log review, insecure network
design, easily "social engineered", autoruns enabled, credentials
on sticky notes, policies ignored, etc.

Hi Curt -

Funny you should ask - I just forwarded a third-party pen. test
report to our Information Security Office!  Central IT at Stanford is
using third parties for penetration tests simply to validate the work
we're doing ourselves.  We are doing bi-weekly scans from internal
networks, monthly scans "behind" firewalls to see what people are
assuming the firewall will hide, and quarterly third party pen. tests
to verify our methodology is good and we haven't missed anything.
This is of servers we manage, tho' we're also considering turning
this into a service that departments can use if they don't have the
resources to set up their own internal scanning.

The scanning we're doing so far is purely network scanning.  We're
not working through any social engineering attacks at this time, not
from outside anyway.

The Information Security Office has a bigger role for the campus
overall in terms of education and policy.  Our security efforts are
to make sure we're in compliance with those policies.

I hope that helps!

Heather Flanagan
Director, System Administration
heatherf () stanford edu