Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: No Subject

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:45:43 -0700

Oh, fun!

Some years ago, I researched several outfits--mostly in California--that
would perform clean-room style recovery of dead HDs. The cost was in the
multiple-$k per gigabyte, then. Would have cost us about $30k (then) to
recover data from one of our administrator's drives. It was simpler and
cheaper for her to reconsruct the information, have the email resent,
etc.

I don't remember them now, but I think you can gather a number of
candidates quickly in a Google or Ask search. A quick look using "hard
drive recovery" shows:

http://www.salvagedata.com/

When communicating with any of these services, make sure you are up
front on the drive. If it is really dead and cannot be connected to
another system and copied or duped, let them know. That will drive the
solutions presented to you.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)