Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Socks5 Proxy Recommendations?

From: Vuong Phung <vphung () SCIENCE SJSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:01:33 -0700

We use Mac OS X Tiger server as SSH + SOCKS5 server. Tiger can attach to AD or LDAP server for authentication. On Tiger
server, attach it to AD/LDAP and turn on SSH server option then it's ready for use. On client side (Win, OS X or *nix)
use Putty or built-in ssh client to connect to the Tiger server via SSH to use SOCKS5. Follow the link as an example of
how to setup a SOCKS5 client (Firefox) to connect to this Tiger SOCKS5 server.

http://www.angeltech.us/?RESOURCES:Technical_How_To:Bypass_Firewall

All your SOCKS5 traffic will be encrypted via ssh from the client to the ssh server.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vuong Phung
Systems Administrator
College of Science - Dean's Office