Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest wireless access at University Conference Centers

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:40:13 -0400

Brenda B Gombosky wrote:
We do much the same thing - we have a web app  that Faculty or Staff (no
students) can request a sponsored Wireless account for up to 7 days for
an individual.  However, this is not secured, we set it up via
the guests MAC address.  Cal, is your guest access secure.

Secure as in encrypted over wireless? No. For historical reasons, we did
not implement wireless security, as when we got started it was already
clear that 40-bit WEP wasn't worth the trouble. As we had other issues
for which encryption was desired, we encourage folks to use VPN for
secure communication - one solution for all.

This means our guests are on their own, as we're not licensed to give
them VPN access ;-)

But if you were asking a different question, Clean Access prevents
unauthenticated guests from going anywhere on the net, /wired or wireless./

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse, and a turtle dove, and am still
on their trail." --Henry David Thoreau (1817-62).