Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risks of using "free" public blogs and/or wikis for class activities

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:01:13 -0700

From: HALL, NATHANIEL D. [mailto:halln () OTC EDU]

As usual, I am not a lawyer, but here are my views.

When one of our students does something stupid off campus
like theft I
don't recall anyone coming after the university because they were
"acting as a student of our school".

When somebody commits theft, they aren't acting as a student.
 When someone posts to a bulletin board for class, they are.

  And if a student committed a theft *as part of a course activity*, I
believe the school would indeed face some legal exposure.....

  Actually, though, my concern is that student activity on free public
services may not be auditable in the case of a grade challenge (on either
side).

David Gillett