Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

[Re: Risks of using "free" public blogs and/or wikis for class activities]

From: Anna Kircher <anna.kircher () HUMBOLDT EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:26:31 -0700

I guess I have a different perspective on this.  As a matter of fact, I've
wondered for a long time why we go to all the trouble and expense of
maintaining blog servers and wiki servers when there are perfectly good
public versions available.

The big-name public blogs (LiveJournal, Blogger, Yahoo, MSN Spaces) are
already familiar to our students, have acceptable use policies with strict
terms, can be configured to control who can see the blog and who can post
comments to the blog, and rarely have the sorts of failures that result in
the total loss of data.

Would I conduct sensitive university business on a public blog?  No.  But
just as many of us are now giving genuine consideration to outsourcing
student email, I think we have to start considering new paradigms for
sorting through other categories of information storage that could be
outsourced from what should rightly stay on our university servers.  The
cost implications are significant, and the diversion of our time and
energy is huge.

And I would bet there's more of this going on amongst faculty than we
realize ... by faculty who already have personal blogs, know how to use
them, and aren't waiting for campuses to catch up with technology that's
been around for eight years.  I suspect it would it would be a more
fruitful use of our time to develop FAQs or Best Practices for using
public blogs than trying to limit their use.

Just my $.02.

Anna Kircher, CIO
Humboldt State University

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1)    Data exposure - This is a common problem amongst colleges and
universities (C&U), even with their own services. I frequently hear of C&U
who have exposed personal student and employee data because an instructor
put the information on their own publicly available web or FTP server.
That said, the information is easier to find if it is only contained
within your network and not across the Internet.

2)    Legal discovery - Let's say you receive complaints against a student or
instructor for comments made on a 3rd party service. What do you do? Sure
it isn't your server, but they were acting as a student or employee of
your school. What if it goes to court? You could look really bad because
the school didn't support the needs of the instructor or because the
school didn't know what the instructor or students were saying on a
"school endorsed" server.

I am in the process (have been for a while) of creating and enforcing
policies to prevent  such issues.  I recommend you do the same.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH GCFA
Network Security System Administrator