Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Google search appliance deployments

From: Steve Brukbacher <sab2 () UWM EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:58:16 -0500

Hi David,
We have been running one of these for about a year.  One thing we did is
design a perl script to search our domain for SSN's and some other types
of confidential data. The risk was that many web pages that had been
buried for years would now be easily found.  We did find a few things
and got them taken care of quickly.  We now run this on a a regular basis.

--
Steve Brukbacher, CISSP
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

David Seidl wrote:
Folks,

I'm looking for comments and experience with campus Google search
appliance deployment. Specifically:

1) Did you take any special security precautions in your deployment?

2) Have you had any security (or other) issues with it?

Also, if you have done the integration work to use your campus
authentication systems with it using Google's API, I'd be interested to
hear about how the process went.

If you have any general observations about your appliance, I'd be glad
to hear those as well.

Thanks!

David