Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Google search appliance deployments

From: Wyman Miles <wm63 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:22:04 -0400

Can't stress this enough: a Google appliance is going to be inside any sort
of access controls you have -- if you put it there.  It will see, record,
and cache all manner of things that you thought were confined to your
campus.

In a previous life, what we did at Rice was build a (then Squid) proxy
server, place it on an external network, and point the Google appliance at
it.  Every server on campus saw requests coming from the proxy server and
their access controls applied as-if-external.  Further, we could do some
filtering and URL rewriting in Squid, search for previously applied bait,
etc.

We've seen at least one instance here where Cornell's Google appliance
cached some mailing list content that was intended to be Cornell-only.

It definitely raises the bar, in all sorts of unexpected ways.

- --On Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:05 PM -0400 David Seidl <dseidl () ND EDU>