Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Google search appliance deployments

From: "John J. Culkin" <culkinj3 () SCRANTON EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:21:49 -0400

We have the Google Mini (smaller version of the Google Search Appliance)
and haven't had any major issues with it. There was just a XSS
vulnerability that was fixed.

One thing we are working on is trying to deny access to cached
documents. You can turn off the Cached link option but you can still get
at cached documents by making adjustments to the URL.

The mailing list is pretty helpful -
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Mini
<http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Mini>

I'd love to hear if other have got it working with the Xythos OneBox
Module - authenticating against a CAS server.

-- John C.

David Seidl wrote:
Folks,

I'm looking for comments and experience with campus Google search
appliance deployment. Specifically:

1) Did you take any special security precautions in your deployment?

2) Have you had any security (or other) issues with it?

Also, if you have done the integration work to use your campus
authentication systems with it using Google's API, I'd be interested to
hear about how the process went.

If you have any general observations about your appliance, I'd be glad
to hear those as well.

Thanks!

David

--
John J. Culkin                  Systems Administrator
John.Culkin () Scranton edu     The University of Scranton