Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Skype allowance

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:51:17 -0400

Hi,

We allow Skype, as we allow any other P2P. It is calculated in your bandwidth usage and if your machine get designated as a hub, you may find yourself in the penalty box.

I think that Steve makes some very good points (except for the bandwidth charging stuff :-), but our policy of "you are responsible for everything that your machine does and for all traffic on your network connection" covers that.

Are the people who are blocking Skype providing an alternate low cost way of making long distance/international phone
calls?

Regards,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel