Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OT: vendor contacts after list posting

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:32:16 -0700

Hello,

I realize that you may not appreciate the cold calling from vendors regarding their products and services.  I can
understand that this can become overwhelming.  However, there is another perspective to look at here as well.  I own an
information security company.  Thus, I suppose that I am in the category of "vendor scum".  However, I have offered
this listserv many hours of free advice and services.  I have spoken at security conferences as a SME (not as a
representative of any product or service).  I have reviewed security documents prepared by the educational institutions
that participate on this list.   TruthfulIy, I find the conversation both stimulating and informative.  However, this
donated time has always seemed to be beneficial to me (I really enjoy helping system owners meet security objectives.),
and the help I provided was well received by the institutions I assisted.  I do not use this board to get more
business, I use this board to share information about appropriate solutions and learn about issues faced by education
institutions.  I'd like to believe that I provide a valuable service and that I can continue to participate on this
listserv as a valuable asset instead of "vendor scum".