Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure file transfers

From: Wyman Miles <wm63 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:26:59 -0400

- --On Monday, May 07, 2007 11:11 AM -0700 Samuel Young
<syoung () LASIERRA EDU>
wrote:

I came across this company called SpeedLink from Singapore.
They seem to have a very interesting file transfer paradigm.

www.speedlinkworks.com

Basically, they use their own encryption algorithm.  The file is uploaded
to  a secure server so the authenticated recipient can obtain the file.

Web-based drop-off location or something? (I can't reach the link)
Cornell's got a homegrown app called dropbox that does what Rice's
homegrown app, webfile did, that does what many campuses have built.

Easier and safer to build your own with an SSL Web server than contract
someone else to store your content.

If I'm going to use some 3rd party HTTPS drop-off location, I'm going to
encrypt the content first.  And if I'm going to bother to encrypt the
content first, I may as well just use any number of protocols to move it
around.

Wy

God bless,
Sam Young