Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure file transfers

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:12:00 -0400

Theresa M Rowe wrote:
We have a big push for using outsourced ASP/data hosting services
here.  We have a strong policy for contract review, including a
security review.

We've been insisting on secure file transfer methods for data
exchanges between the university and the vendor.  We've accepted VPN
or SFTP as methods for data exchange, especially for those contracts
where the data exchanges include confidential data (we have a state
law in Michigan that protects certain data such as social security
numbers and credit card numbers).  Data exposure (unauthorized
access) of those data elements can result in a maximum $750,000 fine
for the university.

We've been getting a push back from some vendors that "standard FTP"
is secure enough.  We've been saying it isn't good enough.

I am checking in on best practice.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on
this.

We have a few vendors that we exchange information with via PGP or GPG
encrypted email; the Enigmail extension for Thunderbird, and the tools
at gpg4win.org are very helpful.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu