Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Evaluating Rapid7's Nexpose

From: Conor McGrath <conormc () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:35:34 -0500

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:27:59AM -0400 Michael Bayne said:
We're currently evaluating Rapid7's Nexpose vulnerability scanner.  They
claim to have a large install base in education, so I thought I'd see if
any of you were using it and what your experience with it have been.

I'm particularly interested in your estimates of false positives/false
negatives, how you handle false positives in reporting, scalability,
experiences with Rapid7's technical support, how well its database and
web services scans work.

The marketing guy was pushing the fact that all the vulnerability checks
are stored in text files and custom vulnerability checks can be written.
 The scripting language for the checks seems to be proprietary,
however, which makes writing custom checks a tad bit hard without
documentation.  Has anyone tried to write custom checks?  Have you had
custom checks written for you by Rapid7?  Have you been able to get
documentation about scripting from Rapid7?

Any other thoughts you might want to share would be appreciated.

I don't know much about the product because their sales folks were so
thoroughly unprofessional I simply refuse to talk to them any longer.
They started off with cold calls and then acting like they were my
best friends when I did answer.  From there they began to call multiple
times in a row.  If I did not answer they wouldn't leave a voice mail
for me but would call again in two minutes...and again...and again.
I observed this behavior twice while I was in meetings in my office.

Perhaps I'm just in a crabby mood today but I will not likely do business
with such folks anytime soon.

-Conor

--
Conor McGrath                                           Phone: (773)702-7611
Manager for Network Security                            Fax: (773)834-8444